Monday 11 February 2013

kindie teacher moment of the week


Check this pair out.
Bambini Kindergarten's resident lovebirds, Jessica and Johny, wearing their finest hanbok (korean traditional dress) to wish you all a "Happy Lunar New Year' in Korean.
This was because Koreans celebrated their traditional holiday Seollal (Lunar New year) this weekend..

I was invited by my lovely co-worker to observe the holiday with her and her family at her Grandmother's home but unfortunately this cold I can't seem to shake kept me in bed most of the weekend.
Otherwise I could have spent two days helping her family make traditional Korean foods, play folk games and perform ancestral rites at the graves of their dead relatives.

I'm sorry to have missed out on being a part of this very closely guarded part of the Korean culture~ the fact that they still observe their holiday traditions so fervently is why the sense of tradition and culture has been preserved in this country so successfully.

According to the Zodiac, Asians believe we are entering the Year of the Snake...in the Chinese Zodiac the snake symbolizes mystery and malevolence. 
Previous Snake Year's have included the Pearl Harbor attack in 1941, the Tienanmen Square protests in 1989 and the 2011 terror attacks in New York.

What do you think?
Is this a year of bad omen or is it all a bunch of smoke and mirrors?




2 comments:

  1. I think it's a bunch of smoke and mirrors. Just like the Dec. 21, 2012 ordeal. {at least I hope it is}

    That video was adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I was just corrected by a friend of mine who told me that 2013 is actually the year of the 'Black Water Snake' which represents longevity and transfiguration.

    Believer or non-believer, I think it's always more comforting to have the odds stacked on the good side...just in case ~.^

    ReplyDelete